What are you doing the weekend of November 22 and 23? Visit the private studios of 42 local artists during the Shoreline Arts Trails 2014 Open Studios Weekend, Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 4pm along the Connecticut Shoreline, with simultaneous gallery events at Friend and Company (Madison), and Wall Street Gallery (Madison).
Artists from Branford, Guilford, and Madison participate in this juried, two-day event, presenting works in cut paper, fiber, found objects, glass, jewelry, metal, mixed media, paint, photography, pottery, print making, sculpture, textiles and more. Open Studios Weekend is free and open to the public, and there’s something for everyone!
- Make it a family event! Open Studios Weekend is an excellent way for children to learn about art up-close: watch a potter’s wheel in action, see an artist’s studio in person, learn how everyday objects become amazing pieces of art, and much more! Before you head out for the weekend, be sure to download a copy of the Family Activities Sheet from the Shoreline ArtsTrail website. It includes projects for the whole family, great ideas for looking at art together, an article on the benefits of arts for kids, and more!
- Enjoy a couple’s weekend! How often do you say “we need to get away for the weekend.” Well here’s your chance. The Connecticut shoreline is the perfect destination, and Open Studios Weekend gives you a chance to explore the area a little more intimately. Visit the studios of local artists, spend time together along scenic back roads with panoramic views, enjoy lunch or dinner at the sponsor restaurants, and book an overnight stay at one of the two featured accommodations.
- Plan a girls’ get-away! There are 32 places to shop, 5 great restaurants, 2 beautiful overnight accommodations, and 3 towns to explore during this two-day art event. Sounds like the makings of a great Girls’ Weekend. Pick up a copy of the Shoreline ArtsTrail Map, plot your course, then set sail for a fun weekend with friends. A regular Open Studios visitor says, “I come in from Massachusetts for the weekend, and look forward to exploring the studios, finding great new pieces of art to take home, and spending time with friends over drinks and good food. It’s too much fun to miss!”
- Meet-up with other arts enthusiasts! Looking to spend the weekend with some like-minded people? Watch for announcements by local Meetup Groups, including Fun Frugal Events, which is coordinating a Meetup event for Open Studios Weekend. See www.meetup.com and search Branford, Guilford or Madison for more information.
- Start your holiday shopping! Scheduled the weekend before Thanksgiving, Open Studios Weekend gives you a head start on your holiday shopping. You’ll find different types of art in a range of price points for any budget, all locally made. Plus, many of the studios are only open several times a year, so this is a great chance to find unique treasures. Do you like to think outside of the box when it comes to gift-giving? Then save the date for Open Studios Weekend!
The Shoreline ArtsTrail’s Open Studios Weekend is presented in collaboration with Guilford Art Center, and supported by local sponsors including Branford’s HOME, Luckey ReDo, Tommy Sullivans, and Words by Jen; Guilford’s Mix Design Store; and Madison’s Friends & Company, Tidewater Inn, and Wall Street Gallery.
Enhancing the weekend’s experience are local Lodge and Dine Partners offering special deals for ArtsTrail visitors. Enjoy a free glass of wine with purchase at HOME (Branford). Get discounts off meals at Bualina (Guilford), Friends and Company (Madison), La Rosticceria (Guilford) and Tommy Sullivans (Branford). Treat yourself to an overnight stay at the Kelsey House Bed & Breakfast (Branford) or Tidewater Inn Madison) at discounted rates, or have one of your purchases framed at Wall Street Gallery for 20% off. All you have to do is show your ArtsTrail map! (Check out the Shoreline ArtsTrail website for more details.)
Be sure to make time to visit the two concurrent gallery exhibits featured in November at Friends and Company and the Wall Street Gallery. The Friends and Company show will run from November 10 – December 28, with an Opening Reception to be held on Sunday, November 16 from 2:30 – 4:00 p.m. The Wall Street Gallery Show will run from November 4 – November 24, with an Opening Reception on November 7 from 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. Both events are free and open to the public.
The Shoreline ArtsTrail was started in 2002 by a small group of shoreline artists. Their intent was to create an annual open studios event to allow local residents and weekend visitors to interact with artists and experience the creative process first-hand. The seeds were planted then and have continued to grow.
Now in its 13th year, the Shoreline ArtsTrail and Open Studios Weekend is a great way explore the shoreline’s arts community. Enjoy refreshments while you watch demonstrations and ask questions, meet the artists one-on-one and explore their studios, see new and amazing art, get a head start on your holiday shopping and much more. So, save the date and make it a weekend event with your friends or family!
During Open Studios Weekend, the colorful “Open Studio” signs point you to all of these artists and studios. For specific locations and more information about events, discount offers and participating artists, pick up a copy of the Shoreline ArtsTrail map, available in libraries, town halls, Connecticut welcome centers, and visitors’ centers in Branford, Guilford and Madison, as well as at the Guilford Art Center and the various studios. Contact Martha Link Walsh at (203) 481-3505 or visit www.shorelineartstrail.com, and its companion blog or Facebook page, for more information.